Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mandelbrot & Taleb: The Opposite of Bullish

Just saw my heroes, Benoit Mandelbrot of Chaos Theory/ Nobel fame, and Nassim Taleb of Black Swan mania, on Jim Lehrer.

They have more intellect in their pinkies than all of Wall Street and Washington combined -that's how intellect scales: fractal like the Mandelbrot set pictured.

Actually, I just made that up, intellect probably scales normal, then again. . . probably not. . .
Any who, 13 months ago in my 4th post ever (Sept 19, 2007), I recommended their books, Mandelbrot's The Misbehavior of Markets and Taleb's the Black Swan. I would also very much recommend Taleb's Fooled By Randomness.

They are mandatory reads for anyone who handles money. Of interest, when I sampled the 100 odd brokers and wholesalers I worked with at the now half-dead wire-house/ibank, no one had heard of them.

Because of General Laziness Syndrome and Ostrich Style Financial Statement Analysis, I will be writing ebook summations on all 3 books and selling them for a very reasonable price on my new site TBA.

So basically, the point of this whole bloated post is; they (M & T) were not very bullish.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

And maybe forget about owning AAPL.