Friday, February 1, 2008

Indian Love Letter

How do I reconcile my sometimes utter disgust with India, with the fact that I am having the greatest time of my life. . .???

I've had a fun time on this board ripping certain aspects of Indian life, and my rippings were always authentic, as in I was authentically disgusted. However, I'm kind of done with all that now. I mean there it is, I just can't trash a place that has in 11 weeks given me 11 years worth of love: unconditional, familial, brotherly, self, romantic, and any other kind of love I can think of.

I've been witness to many amazing people doing God's work here. Instead of going to Cancun 3x in a row like I did, I see college kids coming here and working at schools, hospitals or battered women's shelters. I see retirees coming here, going direct into the village and literally saving lives with their retirement savings. I see Indian small business owners working diligently through insane government corruption.

I see social entrepreneurs doing the seemingly possible, until you find that it's impossible (This sentence makes sense if you've been here). I see Indian women outworking everyone in the least functional clothing ever made -the sari. I see all kinds of Westerners, all over the place helping out, finding true enlightenment in the village, not in the ashram.

I hated India in November. In December it became tolerable. And January was the best start of a year I've ever had. It has never been easy, even now, but maybe that's the reconciliation. After leaving my job and just trying to make my life easy for a while, maybe I need a bit of challenge in my life to keep things interesting.

So, I can't believe I'm saying this but. . .

India, I love you.

Holy Sh-t.

-yt