Sunday, March 2, 2008

Like I said, "No Gurus, No Banyans!"

So, just like I said I would NOT do in my last post, I met a full-on Guru and sat under a 600 year-old Banyan tree last week. Too funny. Swami Nitiyananda has a huge following, like 1.2 million "disciples", and he actually sat with our LA yoga group and answered questions which was really cool of him.

He's a new-school guru that uses all modern technologies to convey his message of "unclutching" to the masses. He's like 30 years old, and I saw him as a quite intelligent and very savvy business guy that happened to have sat in a cave for several years. Enlightened in many ways.

Today, I sit in here in Pune on the last leg of my voyage. Both Bangalore and Pune are quite impressive with respect to Western measures of growth and progress. I was quite happy in seeing that. In about a week's time I will be home. Just have 2 more things to do: 1) meet with 2 friends doing amazing humanitarian work in a village in Maharashtra and 2) buy a harmonium.

Much Love,
yt